Western & English Today

MAR 2015

W&E Today provides retailers and manufacturers with education and ideas that provoke innovation in the Western and English markets.

Issue link: http://wetoday.epubxp.com/i/468646

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 15 of 35

14 Western & English Today EARLY SPRING 2015 also continue to drive newcomer Tanner Mark Boots. "I think it's because we try to stay diferent and do other things that people haven't tried," Tanner Horn says. Tat includes making and marketing cowboy boots for barrel riders. "We felt they were being overlooked," Horn says, "so we developed a new ft, a ft girls like to ride in, with a shorter profle and wider foot that fts in the stirrup. A lot of girls don't like tall boots." Speaking of fashion boots, Diane Moen, who handles the Sonora women's fashion line, says Western retailers should dress up that women's department and not place women's boots on one wall and men's on another. "Stores can make the ladies department more boutique-looking," Moen says. "Add an urban look so girls don't have to go to Macy's, to Dillard's to get those type styles." Sonora tries to maintain a diverse line of fashion boots that can sell to boutiques as well as Western stores. Smoky Mountain Boots has found success with fringed boots — for toddlers, children's and ladies — and fashion boots with walking heels. "Tis program is growing across the country," Smoky Mountain president Bob Torp says. "A lot of Western people are going for a Johnny Ringo, Lane Boots, Liberty Black, Tanner Mark – say women's boot remain their driving business. "Six years ago, we didn't have a women's line," says Bed|Stü's Tony Sugden, who sees women going for a more "Bohemian" look or even Huarache-style sandals. "Now the majority of our business is women." FASHION FOOTPRINT Studs are popular at Durango and Roper, which also sees an interest in vintage and Americana looks. Bobby Smith, who heads Miller International-owned Rod Patrick, Johnny Ringo and Cinch boot companies, says the Johnny Ringo line of women's fashion boots "has held on pretty OK." What has changed, Smith says, is a shif "toward the basic, clean, not quite as much embellishment." Production is up at Lane Boots. "I'm not seeing a sofening in the ladies market," LaDane Smith says. "I think foral is the only thing we're having to switch. People are going back to beautiful tonals that have a lot of depth and interest. Enough of a contrasting interest but you could put it on with anything. Very clean looks." Fashion looks J b a q " h b l ROD PATRICK SMOKY MOUNTAIN BED|STÜ JOHNNY RINGO LANE ROPER B E D | S T Ü HONDO

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Western & English Today - MAR 2015