Western & English Today

Summer 2016

W&E Today provides retailers and manufacturers with education and ideas that provoke innovation in the Western and English markets.

Issue link: http://wetoday.epubxp.com/i/690105

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 25 of 35

24 Western & English Today SUMMER 2016 of New York's fnest fashion houses, including Donna Karan, Perry Ellis, and Joseph Abboud. He would return to join the com- pany six months prior to Ernest's death in December 2006. Celebrity endorsements continue to be a strong marketing element, Jamison says; more than two dozen professional riders currently fank Hedeman as endorsees, including two-time and current world champion tie-down roper Tuf Cooper and world champion barrel racer Mary Walker. Covering the lifestyle side of the endorsee-anchored audience are country music artists Josh Grider and Zane Williams. And while the personality-driven endorsee side of the busi- ness remains a staple, the Hochsters know — perhaps more than anyone in the business with the third generation of the family now at the helm — how crucial growing and grooming tomorrow's customers is to the future of the Westernwear business: With the addition of Rock & Roll Denim to the line of trusted Westmoor brands, a fashion-forward line targeted to a more modern consumer entered the marketplace. Evolving from a core demographic, Rock & Roll Denim not only introduced a fashion- able denim for both men and women, but also a clothing line that opened the door for younger consumers. Promoting a new brand nearly 60 years afer Westmoor's inception called for a fresh, state-of-the-art marketing approach. Beginning with just a Facebook page and organically promoted content, the Rock & Roll Denim brand has grown into a nation- wide success across social media platforms. Rock & Roll Denim also employs sponsorships of numerous highly competitive high school and collegiate rodeo teams, and it provides clothing and support to more than 100 young ath- letes across the country. Highly visible participation in annual sponsored events such as the Tuf Cooper Invitational, Steamboat Music Fest, and the Houston Livestock & Rodeo is helping Rock & Roll Denim change the way the mainstream fashion world views Western fashion. "Rock & Roll Denim and the Rock & Roll Cowgirl and Cow- boy brands align with the core mission that always has guided our company: quality and fashion for the Western lifestyle consumer," says Jamison Hochster, who founded Rock & Roll Denim. "We identifed a missing niche in the marketplace and, thankfully, cus- tomers have responded." Today, the humble shirt factory begun by two determined immigrants has become a global business, selling to markets in Asia, Australia, and across Europe as well as throughout the Americas. With the steady hand of the older generation tempering the enthusiasm of their charged-up sons — as it's been since Ernest brought Jef and Lenny into the business as teenagers — Jef and Lenny now serve as de facto senior counsel to Jamison. And keeping with the Hochster tradition of constantly rein- venting themselves while staying true to the founders' vision, Jamison hints at a new line, Slate, that will launch this year. "It will be a premium brand," he says, "designed to be marketed at higher-end Western stores and boutiques." We can hardly wait to see what the next generation has in store. Here's what a few of Panhandle Western Wear's key retailers had to say about its milestone anniversary: "P anhandle Slim was one of Lammle's Western Wear and Tack's frst suppliers and remains a major force with us today. Through mutual diligence, respect and perseverance we have both spanned the test of time, through many economic downturns, through feast and through famine. Over the years in this industry together, Jeffrey Hochster and I have become great personal friends. We attended their son Jamison's wedding and my wife, Marie, and I have shared family vacations and special occasions with Jeffrey and his lovely wife, Linda. Our strong friendship has spilled over into our families and across generations. The Lammles and the Hochsters make a great team. Our children are good friends. Jeffrey and I are world travelers and have done crazy things like meet in Hong Kong for dinner as we both happened to be there at the same time for business, unbeknownst to each other until it was almost too late. We have nurtured our business relationship and our friendship to the point where our sons have both followed in our footsteps and now serve as executives in our respective companies. I am proud to call Jeffrey one of my close friends and am honored with our friendship. It has been an honor as a friend and business partner to watch Jeffrey and his team grow his company to the level it is today. Congratulations, Panhandle Slim, on 70 amazing years, and I look forward to another chapter in our careers and lives together." — Barry Lammle, President, Lammle's Western Wear and Tack, Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta "P anhandle and Rod's Western Palace have had a great partnership over the decades, which has really fourished in the past few years with the introduction and success of the Rock & Roll collections. We can remember the prominence of the Panhandle Slim label early on, the success of the Brooks & Dunn line — and the great ride with the fame shirt — and now it's all about Rock & Roll. Through all the years, it has always been a pleasure working and partnering with the Hochster family. Jeff and Lenny, and more recently Jamison, have always been great supporters of the industry and Rod's. They have treated Rod's well and shown the highest integrity. The industry has had its ups and downs over the years, but Panhandle has always remained on solid footing and they have found ways to adapt to the changing marketplace and business environment. They have a strong loyalty to the retailers and to the core business that keeps us going day in and day out. We congratulate them on 70 great years of a multigenerational family business and wish them many, many more!" — Scott J. Hartle, President, Rod's Western Palace, Columbus, Ohio

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Western & English Today - Summer 2016